A Playoff Problem

I have a problem.  I suppose it’s a nice problem to have, but it’s a problem nonetheless.  Let me explain.

I grew up as an Atlanta Braves fan – no – I was born an Atlanta Braves fan.  I love them.  I have this hat that my mother bought me while I was sitting in the front seat of the shopping cart at K-Mart.  I wore it everywhere right up until I turned 21 years old.  That’s when my roommates bought me a new one because “the old one makes you look dirty.”  I couldn’t disagree.  People didn’t recognize me without the hat.  If you look at my Facebook pictures, probably 85% of them have the hat in them and the other 15% are from college graduation when I wasn’t allowed to wear it.

But in late April I got a job with the St. Louis Cardinals.  I’d always liked the Cardinals.  I’d call them my second favorite team just because I watched them all the time on Fox Sports Midwest and it was much easier to get along with my friends who are all Cards fans.  Now that I go to Busch Stadium every day, it’s become hard (obviously) to still be a Braves fan.  I wear a Cardinals hat around town now (though the Braves hats are still prominently displayed in my closet).

A few minutes ago, Eric Hinske hit a pinch hit two-run homer to give the Braves a 2-1 lead in the NLDS.  If this was last year I would’ve been up, jumping around, hugging anything in sight.  This year, I was stuck to my couch, telling the ball to get out.  It did and I gave a fist pump and “Yes!”  But I want to do more.  I want to be the rabid, crazy fan that I used to be.  It really makes me sad.

Unfortunately, while writing this post the Giants have strung together a couple weakly hit balls and a(nother) Brooks Conrad error to take the lead.  So I suppose to bright side is that I’m not quite as mad as I would have been.  Maybe there’s a bright side in all this?  I don’t know.  I’m so conflicted.

I’ll be pulling for the Braves as long as they’re in the playoffs.  I can openly do this at work under the guise of Bobby Cox’s Farewell Tour and Rick Ankiel.  If/When they are eliminated, I probably won’t watch much more of this.

I’ll just do it all again next year.

 

One Response

  1. It’s weird the older you get the less you celebrate, although when the raiders beat the chargers this weekend for the first time in eternity, I was jumping around and felt like a kid again. Good to know you’re a Braves fan at heart, I always thought you were all about the Cards!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: